The Building News and Engineering Journal Report on the Proposed New Theatre, Circus & Market at Blackpool 1897
Later - The Palace Complex
Above - New Theatre, Circus & Market at Blackpool. Messrs Wylson & Long Architects. Note the Eldorado name was never used and the building actually opened as the Alhambra in 1899, although it was later altered and renamed the Palace in 1904.
NEW THEATRE, CIRCUS, AND MARKET AT BLACKPOOL
In our issue of Oct. 2 last, we mentioned that the directors of the Lane Ends Estate Co., Ltd., Blackpool, having obtained competitive schemes from Mr. C. J. Phipps, Mr. F. Matcham, and Messrs. Wylson and Long for the reconstruction of their buildings on the Promenade, had unanimously selected Messrs. Wylson and Long's designs. We now reproduce the selected drawings.
The Lane Ends Estate comprises one of the oldest entertainment buildings in Blackpool, and in re-modelling it, the site of the present baths will be occupied by a permanent circus building capable of seating 2,000 persons. The circus ring is placed within an elliptical inclosure in which "water shows" can take place, the floor of the circus ring being made to rise and fall by means of hydraulic rams.
There are entrances and staircases from the sea front, and also from Bank Hey-street in the rear. Ample stables and standing accommodation for the horses and animals used in the entertainments are provided on the ground floor and in the basement, the latter being reached by a sloping roadway from Bank Hey-street, dressing-rooms are provided for the artistes engaged in the circus entertainment.
The circus is a lofty building, being 60ft. from floor to ceiling, above which rises an elliptical coved dome and lantern light. In the basement below the circus are provided engineers' workshop, boiler-house, engine-house and electrical department.
Adjoining the circus and on the ground floor level is the arcade or fancy bazaar, with entrances from the front and from Bank Hey- street. The arcade is lighted with an iron and glass roof supported on elliptical ribs resting on stone trusses. Below the bazaar is placed a large restaurant with entrances from the Promenade, Bank Hey-street, and Victoria-street, together with the requisite kitchen accommodation. The remainder of the ground floor of the site is occupied by shops facing Victoria-street, with cellars under.
Above the shops, and extending partly over the arcade, is provided a large theatre of varieties capable of seating over 2,000 people, arranged with its principal entrances to the sea front, and divided into the customary tiers inside, all of which, pit, circle, and gallery, are provided with handsome lounges. Separate entrances to every part of the house are also provided from Bank Hey-street, these additional entrances in every case being necessary in consequence of the difficulty sometimes experienced in walking along the sea front in boisterous weather.
The front elevation is arranged with balconies overlooking the sea, and these are in communication with the lounges of the several tiers of the theatre.
The above text and images are from The Building News and Engineering Journal January 3rd 1897.
Note the Eldorado name was never used and the building actually opened as the Alhambra in 1899, although it was later altered and renamed the Palace in 1904. The building was slightly different to these plans when it first opened in 1899.
You may find the following pages from this site of interest: