Home Page
The Music Hall and Theatre History Website

Home - Index - New - Maps - Contact



 

The Carlton Hotel, Haymarket and Pall Mall, London

The Carlton Hotel and Her Majesty's Theatre in 1935 - From 'The Face Of London' by Harold P. Clunn 1956

Above - The Carlton Hotel and Her Majesty's Theatre in 1935 - From 'The Face Of London' by Harold P. Clunn 1956.

 

The Carlton Hotel was constructed as a companion to the fourth and present Her Majesty's Theatre which opened on the 28th of April 1897. The Hotel, like the Theatre, was designed by the Architect C. J. Phipps, and was situated on part of the long vacant site of the Previous Theatre. Although designed by Phipps, the Hotel was completed after his death by Isaacs and Florence, opening in 1899. The Carlton Hotel was damaged in the war in 1940 and eventually demolished, between 1957and 58, to make way for the present and rather obtrusive New Zealand House which opened in 1963 and is still situated next to Her Majesty's Theatre today.

An Architect's Drawing of the Carlton Hotel by C. J. Phipps' FSA and L. H. Isaacs and M. L. Florence - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, 7th of July 1899.

Above - An Architect's Drawing of the Carlton Hotel by C. J. Phipps' FSA and L. H. Isaacs and M. L. Florence - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, 7th of July 1899.

The Building News and Engineering Journal reported on the Carlton Hotel in their 7th of July 1899 edition saying:- 'This building occupies part of the area formerly covered by the Opera House first established in London, and known as Her Majesty's Theatre. Part of the area occupied by the old Opera House and an adjoining club has been devoted to a new theatre, erected from the designs of the late Mr. C. J. Phipps, to which has been given the old name of Her Majesty's Theatre. This new theatre occupies the northern portion of the site, and has frontages to the Haymarket, Charles-street, and the Opera-arcade. The remainder of the site has been utilised for the purposes of a hotel and restaurant, to which has been given the name of "The Carlton..."

C. J. Phipps' Carlton Hotel under construction.

Above - C. J. Phipps' Carlton Hotel under construction, completed after his death by Isaacs and Florence. The Hotel was a companion to Her Majesty's Theatre, also shown in the photograph, and also designed by Phipps.

The Entrance to the Royal Opera Arcade, designed by John Nash, and considered to be one of his finest works - Courtesy B.F....This building has frontages to the Haymarket, Pall Mall, and the Opera-arcade. The entrance to the hotel is in the Haymarket, whilst the salle a manger and restaurant are entered from Pall Mall. Taking these departments, for convenience sake, in inverted order, we would observe that the visitors pass from Pall Mall through a vestibule into an inner quadrangle, styled the Palm-court, which is covered with glass and is intended to serve for a lounge. At the end of the Palm-court, opposite to the Pall Mall entrance, is a terrace reached by marble steps, leading to the salle a manger. This terrace is protected by a gilt railing specially designed. The restaurant extends for the full width of the site from the Haymarket to the Opera-arcade.

Right - The Entrance to the Royal Opera Arcade, designed by John Nash, and considered to be one of his finest works - Courtesy B.F.

The Royal Opera Arcade, designed by John Nash, behind Her Majesty's Theatre in October 2006 - Photo M.L.The north wall, facing the entrance, is artistically treated with a treillage which, in time, will be covered with foliage, whilst mirrors now reflect the effects of the room and its decoration. Private dining-rooms, for the entertainments of parties of from 20 to 40 in number, are also provided on this floor. A reading-room and a smoking-room, the latter provided with an Ingle fireplace, are also to be found on the ground floor. The grill-room is in the basement, approached by a separate staircase and entrance from the Haymarket...

Left - The Royal Opera Arcade, designed by John Nash, behind Her Majesty's Theatre in October 2006 - Photo M.L.

 

An Architect's Drawing of the Carlton Hotel by C. J. Phipps' FSA and L. H. Isaacs and M. L. Florence - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, 7th of July 1899.

Above - An Architect's Drawing of the Carlton Hotel by C. J. Phipps' FSA and L. H. Isaacs and M. L. Florence - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, 7th of July 1899.

A Blue Plaque, situated beside the main entrance of New Zealand House, commemorating Ho Chi Minh 1890-1969, the founder of Modern Vietnam, who worked at the Carlton Hotel in 1913 - Courtesy B.F. ...Coming now to the hotel proper, which contains 316 rooms, including 72 suites each comprising two to six rooms, the visitors are received at the entrance hall, where will be found the inquiry and manager's offices, and the passengers' and luggage lifts. On the entresol floors are bedrooms for visitors and accommodation for the managerial staff of the hotel. The upper floors have been so planned that suites of apartments, resembling flats in the accommodation they afford, are provided, containing three, four, or five rooms, with bath-rooms, lavatories, and other conveniences.

Right - A Blue Plaque, situated beside the main entrance of New Zealand House, commemorating Ho Chi Minh 1890-1969, the founder of Modern Vietnam, who worked at the Carlton Hotel in 1913 - Courtesy B.F.

Throughout the building use has been made of asbestic plaster. Provisions satisfactory to the London County Council have also been made for rapid escape in case of emergency by staircases inside the building and an external iron staircase, which communicates with every floor from the roof downwards to the concrete flat over the opera arcade, from which iron ladders lead to Charles-street and Pall Mall...

 

A Sketch showing the Carlton Hotel and Her Majesty's Theatre - From 'Modern Opera Houses and Theatres' by Edwin O Sachs, Published 1896-1898, and held at the Library of the Technical University (TU) in Delft - Kindly sent in by John Otto.

Above - A Sketch showing the Carlton Hotel and Her Majesty's Theatre - From 'Modern Opera Houses and Theatres' by Edwin O Sachs, Published 1896-1898, and held at the Library of the Technical University (TU) in Delft - Kindly sent in by John Otto.

Postcard of the Haymarket, London looking up towards Piccadilly and showing Her Majesty's Theatre on the left and the Theatre Royal, Haymarket on the right.

Above - A Postcard of the Haymarket, London looking up towards Piccadilly and showing Her Majesty's Theatre and the Carlton Hotel on the left and the Theatre Royal, Haymarket on the right.

Her Majesty's Theatre during the run of 'The Phantom Of The Opera' in October 2006.

Above - Her Majesty's Theatre during the run of 'The Phantom Of The Opera' in October 2006. New Zealand House, which replaced the Carlton Hotel, can be seen to the left of the photograph.

...The keynote of the design externally was afforded by the late Mr. C. J. Phipps in the elevation for the Haymarket facade of Her Majesty's Theatre, and this has been followed by Messrs. Isaacs and Florence, who, on his demise, were instructed to design and supervise the works necessary to complete the hotel. The building has been erected by Mr. Henry Lovatt, of Wolverhampton. The pavement lights are by Messrs. Hayward Brothers and Eckstein. The carving was executed by Mr. Margetson, of Bristol.'

The above text in quotes was first published in The Building News and Engineering Journal, 7th of July 1899.

 

You may find the following pages from this site of interest: