The Livermores graduated to their first People`s Palace music hall in February 1891, at the Old Cattle Market, Lochee Road, on a former circus site which the previous year had a portable Theatre erected on it for variety and drama, the Prince of Wales Theatre. The architect was James Hutton and the building was in Moorish style, made of wood and corrugated iron. It had stalls and a gallery, and two boxes. Accommodating 2,500 people, which included a promenade for 500, the owners announced that with no fewer than sixteen exits the building can be emptied in 1 ½ minutes. The drop curtain was of Windsor Castle by D`Inglo; the ceiling was panelled and hand decorated by French artistes.
They moved from that to a better site in the grounds of the Queen`s Hotel, building upon a circus property known as the Jollity Theatre which had burned down. With the Lord Provost in attendance the new People`s Palace complete with a handsome facade fronting the Nethergate opened on 2nd January 1893 in a building again designed by architect James Hutton. An adjacent building was designed to contain stables in three storeys, the ground floor stables being reserved for circus horses. At the same time and for the same client Hutton was designing the People`s Palace, Bristol in almost identical style.
Anticipating its construction newspapers remarked upon A series of beautifully-fluted Grecian columns, which are to form a feature of the interior, are being supplied by Messrs Macfarlane & Co., Glasgow.
The new Palace is to be so erected that in a few days it can be transformed to a circus. To effect this change, it is intended to make portable the front of the stage, portions of the proscenium, and of the seating. When used as a music hall the arena will be filled with seats and when employed as a circus the whole of the stage will be seated.
The Palace stalls and galleries seated 2,500 people, and presented extensive programmes of variety, including Marie Lloyd, and Harry Lauder, revues and pantomime. By 1904 it was advertising variety programmes lasting three hours.
The Livermores circuit included People`s Palace theatres in Aberdeen, Sunderland, Bristol, Plymouth and Weymouth and the King`s Gateshead. In 1910 they leased their Theatres to the new United County Theatres Ltd, and as that grouping ran the very new King`s Theatre in Dundee the People`s Palace now became a fulltime cinema, adopting in due course the name Savoy.
Above - A Dundee Palace Theatre promotional photo with tenor Robert Wilson and Johnny Victory - Courtesy of David Mason
In 1938 ex-Bailie James Lockhart, a former director and shareholder of the King`s Theatre, took possession, ending the films, and reintroduced variety and the name Palace Theatre. There was a large scale reconstruction and all pillars were removed out of sight; accommodation was now for 1,300. The Theatre had a variety and a drama licence and, before the war fully developed, popular weeks included the jazz and dance bands led by Henry Hall, Harry Roy, Nat Gonnella, and Charlie Kunz.
Left - A Dundee Palace Theatre programme for the Moxon Girls - Courtesy Colin Calder.
It excelled in its new life with variety, revues, plays, pantomime including Florrie Forde - and circus. Its summer shows in the 1940s were the Finlay Frolics, with Alec Finlay, and in that decade its orchestra leader was Bobby Dowds who went on to become Music Director of the Empire Theatre, Glasgow.
Variety headliners over the years included GH. Elliot, Dave Willis, Harry Gordon, Tommy Morgan, Jack Anthony, Alec Finlay, Jack Radcliffe, Lex McLean, Denny Willis, Margo Henderson and Lena Martell.
As an experiment, for one week in 1958, Howard & Wyndham Ltd staged their Edinburgh version of Five Past Eight once it finished its season in Edinburgh, and in 1963 Dundee Repertory staged repertory weeks at the Palace when their own base was burned down.
In 1965 an Aberdeen consortium led by the irrepressible Calum Kennedy took over, but lasted only one year. He renamed the theatre The Theatre Royal. However the refurbishment and the costs of performers such as Frankie Vaughan and Billy Cotton exceeded income.
Right - A Dundee Theatre Royal programme with Calum Kennedy in 1965 - Courtesy Colin Calder.
For the next six years the Theatre was successfully controlled by the singing duo The Alexander Brothers and general manager George Clarkson.
The brothers had summer and winter seasons each year. They added to the bill of fare, by arrangement with Howard & Wyndham, two winters of the Jamie pantomimes, starting in 1966 with A Wish for Jamie and the following winter A Love for Jamie with principals different from the original casts.
Left - A Flyer for the Theatre Royal, Dundee with the Alexander Brothers for 1970 / 1971 - Courtesy Colin Calder.
The major Jamie pantomimes had run for four years at the Alhambra Theatre, Glasgow and would run for a further six years across Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Newcastle. In 1970 Jack Milroy and Rikki Fulton came as Francie & Josie.
After 1971 the Theatre went over to bingo and then disco before being consumed by fire in October 1977 and subsequently demolished.
The above information on the Palace Theatre, Dundee was written for this site by Graeme Smith in February 2013.
If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre you are willing to share please Contact me.
You may find the following pages from this site of interest: