Home Page
The Music Hall and Theatre History Website

Home - Index - New - Maps - Contact



 

The Gaiety Theatre, 5 Chambers Street, Edinburgh

Later - Moss Theatre Of Varieties / Operetta House

See Also - The Gaiety Theatre, Kirkgate, Leith

Edinburgh Index

 

Programme for Moss Theatre of Varieties,  - Click for details Programme for Moss Theatre of Varieties,  - Click for detailsThe Gaiety Theatre was a Music Hall situated on Chambers Street, Edinburgh which first opened on Monday the 5th of July 1875. The ERA carried a short piece about the Theatre in their 4th of July 1875 edition saying:- 'There has just been erected in Chambers-street, on a site acquired by a limited liability company from the Improvement Trustees, a handsome and comfortable Hall, which it is intended to open in July for musical and other similar entertainments, under the name of "The Gaiety." The management will be intrusted to Mr G. J. Cruvelli.' - The ERA, 4th of July 1875.

Right - Two 1885 Programmes for Moss Theatre of Varieties, Chambers Street, Edinburgh, formerly the Gaiety Theatre - Courtesy Colin Calder - Click covers for details.

The ERA then went on to report on the opening of the Theatre, in their 11th of July 1875 edition, saying:- 'Gaiety Music Hall - (Manager, J. G. Cruvelli) - This new and beautifully finished Hall, situated in Chambers-street, was opened to the public as a place of amusement on Monday evening, with a large and talented company of artists and a varied and attractive programme. The entertainments were on the whole of a highly-successful character, Mr Alexander Bogle (the African tenor) acquitting himself admirably; and Miss Townley and Mr D'Almaine gaining loud applause in their clever operatic selections. Lady Don (ballad vocalist), Mr Henry Lee and Mrs Emma Roberts (duologue artists), and Miss Marian Constance (skipping-rope dancer) were also received with favour; while the orchestra played well, and contributed largely to the success.' - The ERA, 11th of July 1875.

Arthur Lloyd is known to have performed at the Gaiety Theatre in 1887, and Arthur's brother, Robert Lloyd, and Robert's wife, Lizzie Nelson, appeared at the Gaiety in the Theatre's opening month where their 'lively interludes' were reported as being met with 'much favour'.

The Theatre was later run by Herbert Moss as Moss Theatre of Varieties but it closed in 1892 and later reopened as the now renamed Operetta House, showing Cine-variety, and eventually films only.

 

Chambers Street Edinburgh in 2003. The building to the left of the picture is Edinburgh University which has been there for 400 years. There is a University Theatre, now called Adam House Theatre, which is directly to the right of the place where the picture was taken (but not in the picture). This building has a plaque in it commemorating it as the site of the former Operetta House / Gaiety Theatre / Music Hall, built 1875, and run by Herbert Moss. It closed in 1892 and was renamed the Operetta House showing Cine-variety, and eventually films only. - Information Courtsy Gordon Hughes - Photo M.L.The current Adam House Theatre, which is part of Edinburgh University, carries a plaque commemorating it as the site of the former Operetta House / Gaiety Theatre.

Left - Chambers Street Edinburgh in 2003. The building to the left of the picture is Edinburgh University which has been there for 400 years. There is a University Theatre, now called Adam House Theatre, which is directly to the right of the place where the picture was taken (but not in the picture). This building has a plaque on it commemorating it as the site of the former Operetta House / Gaiety Theatre / Music Hall, built 1875, and run by Herbert Moss - Photo M.L.

If you have any more information or images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Archive newspaper reports on this page were collated and kindly sent in for inclusion by B.F.

 

You may find the following pages from this site of interest: