Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

Celebrating Twenty Years Online 2001 - 2021

St. Andrew's Hall, Granville Street, Glasgow

Later - Extension to the Mitchell Library and Theatre

Glasgow Index

A Google StreetView Image showing the Facade of the former St. Andrew's Hall, today in use as an extension to the Mitchell Library and Theatre. The Facade is a surviving remnant of the former St. Andrew's Hall, destroyed by fire in 1962 - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image showing the Facade of the former St. Andrew's Hall, today in use as an extension to the Mitchell Library and Theatre. The Facade is a surviving remnant of the former St. Andrew's Hall, destroyed by fire in 1962 - Click to Interact.

This image shows the rear of the Mitchell Library which also houses The Mitchell Theatre. The Facade is a surviving remnant of the former St. Andrew's Hall, destroyed by fire in 1962 - Photo M.L.Glasgow's massive Mitchell Library is fronted onto North Street but it's rear facade on Granville Street is a survivor from the facade of the former St. Andrew's Hall, a Complex of Concert Halls built in 1877. One of the smaller Concert Halls was called the Berkeley Hall, and another was the Kent Hall, there was also the Grand Hall which could accommodate 4,500 people. The Halls were used for all manor of events including Musical Concerts, Music Hall, and other performances, as well as Civic and Missionary meetings, and later even Boxing Matches and Radio Broadcasts of Popular and Classical Music Concerts. The building also included a large Ballroom.

Right - This image shows the rear of the Mitchell Library which also houses The Mitchell Theatre. The Facade is a surviving remnant of the former St. Andrew's Hall, destroyed by fire in 1962 - Photo M.L.

The building was designed by the architect James Sellars and first opened in 1877. Sadly a major fire in 1962 destroyed most of the building but it's Granville Street Facade survived and was later incorporated into the 1980 rear extension to the Mitchell Library (first built in 1911) which today stands on the eastern end of the site of the former St. Andrew's Concert Hall. The main Entrance to the Mitchell Library stands on North Street, see image below.

A Google StreetView Image of the Main Entrance and Facade of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image of the Main Entrance and Facade of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow - Click to Interact.

The 1980 extension to the Mitchell Library also incorporates the 418 seat Mitchell Theatre which is used for a variety of functions including musical concerts and live theatre productions.

You may like to visit the Mitchell Library's own Website here.

Other Pages that may be of Interest