The New Bedford, Eglinton Street, Glasgow
Later - Carling Academy
/ The Academy
Above - The New Bedford, Eglinton Street, Glasgow, in 2003, now The Academy - Photo M.L.
This building on the corner of Bedford Street across from the Coliseum Theatre is going against the trend of history. It is now a live performance venue for pop bands, The Academy, attracting large audiences when before it had been an early cinema. It uses the restored facilities of the New Bedford and accommodates about 2000 people.
Right - The New Bedford and the Coliseum Theatre, side by side, in Eglinton Street, Glasgow in 2003 - Photo ML
The New Bedford was originally built as a classically styled United Presbyterian Church until 1921 when it opened as a cinema.
There is a photograph from 1924 on the excellent Glasgow Story Site here.
After a fire in 1932 in was remodeled in bold Art Deco style with illuminations showing its outline. In the 1960s it became a bingo hall.
Above - The rear elevation of the New Bedford, Eglinton Street, Glasgow, in 2003 - Photo ML
You may find the following pages from this site of interest: