Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

The Lyric Theatre, Anlaby Road, Hull

Formerly - Hengler's Grand Cirque Variete / Hengler's Circue / The Circus - Later - The Palais de Dance

A Postcard view showing the Lyric Theatre, formerly Hengler's Circus, and the next door Palace Theatre, Anlaby Road, Hull - Courtesy Maurice Friedman.

Above - A Postcard view showing the Lyric Theatre, formerly Hengler's Circus, and the next door Palace Theatre, Anlaby Road, Hull - Courtesy Maurice Friedman.

The Lyric Theatre was situated next door to Hull's Palace Theatre on Anlaby Road, and opened in 1917. The Theatre was a conversion of a former Circus building which had first opened as Hengler's Grand Cirque Variete in October 1864. Hengler's Circus had been designed by the Hull Born architect Jethro Thomas Robinson who would later go on to design other Circus buildings for Hengler, notably the one constructed in London in 1871, which would later be rebuilt as the London Palladium, another of Robinson's designs for Hengler was constructed in Liverpool in 1876, later to become the Royal Hippodrome.

Right - An Advertisement for the Lyric Theatre, Hull - From the Stage Newspaper, 9th January 1919.

Hull's Hengler's Circus of 1864 had originally been a temporary circular wooden construction situated on former fields to the south of Anlaby road, It is reported to have been able to hold 2,500 people at this time and only ran between October and December for its initial years. The building was renamed Hengler's Circue in 1870, and then refurbished and reopened again in 1887. In 1898 the Circus was completely rebuilt from brick and concrete and had a new entrance with a portico supported by a colonnade of wooden columns.

In 1917, with a seating capacity of 1,500, and under the ownership of P. Selwyn Newbound, and the Management of J. B. Hargreaves, the building was renamed the Lyric Theatre, billed as 'The finest and most up to date Concert Party Theatre in the Kingdom', but situated as it was, next door to the more successful Palace Theatre, it's fortunes were often less than profitable and it was eventually sold at auction for £10,600 in July 1923. Following this, and, despite a reopening and change to Cine Variety in 1924, still under the Management of J. B. Hargreaves, it closed down completely in 1925. A reopening the following year as the Palais de Dance was also mostly unsuccessful and it closed down for good around 1930 and was subsequently demolished.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest