Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

Celebrating Twenty Years Online 2001 - 2021

The Princes Hall, Hull

Later - The Curzon Cinema

Hull Theatres Index

The Princes Hall, Hull - From the Era, 5th of February 1910.

Above - The Princes Hall, Hull - From the Era, 5th of February 1910.

Theatreshire Books  - Click to View Inventory

An Opening Advertisement for the Princes Hall, Hull - From the Hull Daily Mail, 28th of June 1910.The Princes Hall was situated opposite the former Grand Theatre and Opera House on George Street, Hull. It was designed by the architects Freeman Son and Gaskell and built primarily as a Cinema. It had no real stage apart from a platform for a large orchestra. The Cinema, which had a Terracotta Facade and an Auditorium on two levels, decorated in the Renaissance style, opened on the 2nd of July 1910.

Right - An Opening Advertisement for the Princes Hall, Hull - From the Hull Daily Mail, 28th of June 1910.

The Era reported on the soon to be completed Cinema, along with the sketch shown above, in their 5th of February 1910 edition saying:- 'This Hall, which is now being erected in George-street, is to be used permanently for cinematograph entertainments. The site is a parallel one, running from George-street to Dock-street.

The building will be approached from George-street and Dock-street. there will be spacious lobbies, booking-offices, and marble staircase at the entrance, fitted with swing doors. the entrance vestibule at the front is 18ft by 27ft and is to be decorated and made quite an important feature. The ground floor will measure 70ft by 37ft, and will have a gangway on either side, and at the back; the main hall measures 90ft by 37ft. There will be a small platform and orchestra at the southern end with emergency exit and entrance for part of the ground floor. On the first floor will be a large circle and balcony, fitted with tip-up cushioned seats, and adjacent will be a tea and refreshment lounge. The operating box will be fireproof and outside the auditorium.

The floors will be supported on steel girders, and the roof will be of steel construction. The premises will be amply ventilated, lighted, and heated by radiators. There will also be a cloakroom and lavatory conveniences. The new hall will hold about 1,500 persons. The style of architecture will be renaissance, the front being terra-cotta. The architects are Messrs. Freeman, Son, and Gaskell; and the builders Messrs. George Houlton and Son, Hull. The proprietors are The Prince's Hall (Hull) Company, Limited. The hall will be under the management of the Messrs Morton, of the Grand and Alexandra Theatres, Hull, with whom are associated the New Century Animated Picture Company, Limited, of St. George's Hall, Bradford, of which Mr. Sydney Carter is the managing director. This hall will be one of the most imposing buildings of the City, and the cost of it £10,000.'

The above text in quotes was first published in the Era, 5th of February 1910.

A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Princes Hall, Hull in May 2019 - Click to Interact.The Princes Hall opened on the 2nd of July 1910 with a twice nightly showing of the latest films. The Cinema was very successful and for most of its life was run by the same company. However eventually William Morton, who was by then partnered with a Mr. MacDonald, sold the Cinema by auction to Kerman and Shenker of Hull who took possession on the 24th of October 1955. At this point the Cinema was advertised as being able to hold 800 people. Under the new management it reopened in 1955 as the Curzon Cinema.

Rigfht - A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Princes Hall, Hull in May 2019 - Click to Interact.

This wasn't to last long however, as in February 1960 the Cinema was closed and the building was then converted for nightclub use. As with so many other Cinemas and Theatres after such alterations, the building never went back to its intended use, and was eventually demolished in the mid 1980s and its site used for a car park. Surprisingly however, the lower part of its facade was retained and used as a wall for the car park, whose main entrance was on Dock Street behind, and this still remains visible today. The site of the old Princes Hall, at the time of writing in October 2021, has still never been redeveloped, see image above right.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest