Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

Theatres in Kettering, Northamptonshire

The Savoy Theatre / Avenue / Coliseum

The Savoy Theatre, 94 Russel Street, Kettering

Formerly - The Avenue Theatre / Coliseum Theatre - Later - The Ohio Cinema

A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Savoy Theatre, Kettering - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Savoy Theatre, Kettering - Click to Interact.

An Advertisement for 'The New Moon' by the Kettering Operatic Society at the Savoy Theatre, Kettering in November 1938 - From the Market Harborough Advertiser and Midland Mail, 11th of November 1938.The Savoy Theatre opened on the 21st of May 1938 with a showing of the film 'The Big City' and, on its large stage, a variety show. The Theatre was designed by the architect Charles Edmund Wilford and was built on the site of Frank Payne's former Avenue Theatre, which had first opened on Monday the 3rd of August 1903 with the Neilson Opera Company in 'Faust'. The Avenue Theatre eventually became the Coliseum Theatre in 1910 but was destroyed by fire on Tuesday the 6th of April 1937.

Right - An Advertisement for 'The New Moon' by the Kettering Operatic Society at the Savoy Theatre, Kettering in November 1938 - From the Market Harborough Advertiser and Midland Mail, 11th of November 1938.

The Savoy Theatre, which was built to replace the former Avenue / Coliseum Theatre, had a large auditorium decorated in the 'Streamline Moderne' style, and could accommodate 1,150 people, all seated, in its two levels; stalls and circle. Despite being constructed primarily as a Cinema, it also had full stage facilities with a large stage, 43 feet wide by 23 feet deep, with stage traps, and a fly tower 60 feet in height. There were also 7 dressing rooms for its artistes and a band room.

The Auditorium of the Savoy Theatre, Kettering - Courtesy Mike Blakemore.

Above - The Auditorium of the Savoy Theatre, Kettering - Courtesy Mike Blakemore.

In 1968 the Theatre's Circle was extended towards the stage and closed off as a single Cinema with seating for 485 people. It was called 'The Studio' when it first opened. The former Stalls area and stage of the Theatre was converted for Bingo at the same time. In 1973 the Studio Cinema was split into two and renamed Studios 1 & 2.

The Cinema closed in 1986 but was reopened under an Independent Management as the Ohio Cinema later that year. This ran until 1997 when the whole building was closed down, not to reopen. The Theatre then stood empty and derelict for many years, and was later seriously damaged in an arson attack on the 16th of September 2011. The Theatre was subsequently demolished in June 1914 and housing has since been built on its site.

Some images of the derelict Savoy before the 2011 fire can be seen on the Urban Explorer site '28 days later' here.

A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Savoy / Avenue / Coliseum Theatres, Kettering during the Savoy Theatre's demolition in 2014 - Click to Interact..

Above - A Google StreetView Image of the site of the former Savoy / Avenue / Coliseum Theatres, Kettering during the Savoy Theatre's demolition in 2014 - Click to Interact.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest