Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

The King's Cross Theatre, 60 Liverpool Street, King's Cross, London

(Later Birkenhead Street and Euston Road, St. Pancras)

Other Names: / The Clarence Theatre (1832) / New Lyceum Theatre (1838) / Regent Theatre (1840) / Argyle Theatre (After 1840) / The Cabinet Theatre (1852) - Later a Chapel / and finally a Restaurant

The King's Cross Theatre held about 500 people and first opened as such in April 1870, see details below. The building itself however, had first been erected, to the designs of the architect Stephen Geary, in the 1820s, as part of Gesvaldo Lanza's Panharmonium project. By 1832 the building was being run as the Clarence Theatre, sometimes the Royal Clarence Theatre. In April 1852 the building was renamed the Cabinet Theatre, it's manager at the time being J. W. Collier, a former member of the pantomimic corps at the Patent Theatres, who opened the Theatre in order to give lectures on various nation's sculptures. By December 1852 however, the Theatre was being used for J. E. Carpenter's Musical and Pictorial Entertainments, and by 1854 it was being run by John Brydon.

The Theatre was for many years used for putting on amateur productions under a variety of different names, but was later reopened as the King's Cross Theatre on the Easter Monday of April 1870 with a production of the farce 'The Lost Child' along with various musical and dance entertainments. Before the 1870 opening by Messrs Chapelle and Co., the Theatre had been enlarged, and redecorated in white and gold by Messrs Baldwin of Tottenham Court Road in London, with furniture and upholstery in crimson velvet by Mr. Morelli of the St. James's Theatre in London. At this time the auditorium consisted of stalls, dress and upper circles, an amphitheatre, and a few private boxes.

The end came for the King's Cross Theatre in 1881 when the Lord Chamberlain ordered structural alterations which would have cost around £3000, its then lessee Henry Crouch could not afford such an expense and was forced to let the building go, although he did have one last benefit night in his honour in March 1881. The Theatre was then acquired by the Archdeacon Dunbar and converted for religious services.

In 1896 the former Theatre, and later chapel, was converted into Grill Rooms for an adjoining restaurant.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest