The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.


The Queen's Hall, 65 Bold Street, Liverpool

Formerly Dr. Thom's Chapel - Later - The Bijou Theatre and Drawing Room Operetta House / The Bijou Opera House

Liverpool Theatres Index

The Queen's Hall was situated on Bold Street in Liverpool and first opened as an Assembly Hall for Religious Meetings called Dr. Thom's Chapel. In the early 1850s the Hall was converted for theatrical performances and renamed the Queen's Hall, later the Queen's Operetta House. The Theatre was run in 1866 by J. S. Lofthouse who also ran the Oxford Music Hall and the Cambridge Music Hall, both in Liverpool, at this time. However, Lofthouse sold the Queen's after two years and it then went on to have a succession of different managers over the ensuing years.

In January 1868 Arthur Lloyd and his Company performed at the Queen's Hall for a week, an advertisement in the Liverpool Mercury of the 20th of January that year said:- 'An excellent programme will be submitted each evening; and as the great comique's stay only extends over the present week, prompt attendance will be necessary.' Lloyd's Company also gave a morning performance on the final Saturday.

In 1880, the lessees of the Queen's Hall became Messrs Bell, Woolrich and Brown who reopened the Theatre on the 3rd of May that year with the rather convoluted name of The Bijou Theatre and Drawing Room Operetta House, later simplified to the Bijou Opera House. They spent close to £2,000 on the Theatre before its opening, together with its owner, Mr. Booker, who gave another £1,000 for the improvements. They had considerable success, and when Bell became the sole Lessee in 1882 he bought an adjacent house and improved the Theatre's entrance whilst also adding a new Waiting Room, Ladies Cloakroom, Retiring Rooms, and Refreshment Bars. He also made the Gallery staircase wider for better access and improved the Bold Street access to the Theatre.

Despite these improvements, when a retaining wall collapsed behind the Theatre on Back Bold Street later that year on the 26th of December, the Theatre had to be closed. Bell received £500 from the Railway Company whose wall had collapsed, a figure which was coincidentally the same as the cost of his earlier improvements to the Theatre that year.

After structural repairs the Theatre continued in business for the next 10 years under various different managements until it was eventually closed for entertainment and converted into shops in the early 1890s.

Archive newspaper reports on this page were collated and kindly sent in for inclusion by B.F.

If you have any more information or images for this Theatre you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest