Strode and Co. 48 Osnaburgh Street, Regents Park, London
Strode and Co. were situated at 8 Osnaburgh Street, Regents Park, London, and were responsible for many of the Brass and Wrought Iron Fixtures and Fittings for Theatres throughout the Country. They also supplied Sunlights, Floats, Foot Lights, Fireproof Curtains, Iron Doors, and Fire Hydrants, and they were often responsible for the Electrical Wiring, Lighting, Gas, Heating, and Plumbing installations in Theatres, and many other types of buildings too. You will find many references to their work throughout this site.
Above - An Advertisement for Strode and Co.'s Electrical Lighting - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, of January the 10th, 1890.
From The Building News and Engineering Journal, January 3rd, 1890.
Above - Examples of Strode and Co.'s Wrought Ironwork - From The Building News and Engineering Journal, January 3rd, 1890.
The examples we show in our illustration are of recent issue from the well-known forges of Messrs. Strode and Co., of 48, Osnaburgh-street, Regent's-park, and as characteristic types of this interesting handicraft are well worth attention.
The sign shown on the left hand of sheet was a commission from Mr. Heath for his new premises in Oxford-street, where it has now been fixed for some time.
The small hall lantern, the bracket support of which is suggestive of a cornucopia, is a tasteful rendering of the best period of the Cinque-Cento and is an exquisite piece of workmanship; this has been exhibited at the late Arts and Crafts, but had previously taken prize at the Blacksmiths' Exhibition.
The staircase balustrading was once executed for a town mansion; the treatment of the grotesque newel post is somewhat novel, being a combination of forged and repousse work, thus producing the necessary bulk without excessive weight.
The works have all been fixed in different parts of London, the lamp standard and railing (both good examples of the Georgian type we are familiar with) figuring at branches of the London and South-Western Bank.
The above text and its accompanying image, was first published in the Building News and Engineering Journal, January 3rd, 1890.
You may find the following pages from this site of interest: