Arthur Lloyd.co.uk
The Music Hall and Theatre History Site
Dedicated to Arthur Lloyd, 1839 - 1904.

 

The Troxy, 490 Commercial Road, Stepney, East London

Formerly - The Troxy Cinema / London Opera Centre / Top Rank Bingo Club / Mecca Bingo

The Troxy, Commercial Road, London at night, in August 2018.

Above - The Troxy, Commercial Road, London at night, in August 2018.

An Art Deco Light Fitting at the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtey Charles Jenkins.The Troxy is situated on the Commercial Road in Stepney, East London and when it first opened on the 11th of September 1933 with a showing of the recently released films 'King Kong' and 'The Mind Reader' it was one of the Country's largest Cinemas ever to be built, seating 3,520 people. The Cinema was designed in the Art Deco Style for Hyams and Gale by the well known Theatre and Cinema architect George Coles.

Right - An Art Deco Light Fitting at the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtey Charles Jenkins.

Constructed on an almost island site this vast Theatre was also equipped with a large stage and plenty of dressing rooms for its artists. The Theatre also had a Wurlitzer 3 Manual / 10 Ranks Theatre Organ, and a cafe and restaurant situated behind the Circle Foyer.

The Auditorium of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.

Above - The Auditorium of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.

The Auditorium Circle of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.Run by Gaumont Super Cinemas from August 1935, and then Gaumont British Theatres from February 1944, the Theatre was used for the showing of all the latest film releases along with live theatre and variety on its large stage.

Right - The Auditorium Circle of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.

In November 1960 the Troxy was closed due to lack of support from a dwindling local population, and it then remained closed until it was re-imagined as the London Opera Centre in 1963, a rehearsal space for the Royal Opera House who enlarged the stage to the same proportions as their Covent Garden home. They also used the rear stalls of the Cinema for the construction of scenery for their productions, and the rear of the circle for storage. The front of the circle was used for seating for occasional performances and tryouts of their productions. However, in 1990 the Royal Opera House gave up the building, their own Theatre having been extended in 1982 making the Troxy surplus to requirements.

An Auditorium Ceiling Panel at the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.This wasn't the end for the Troxy however, as it was then granted a Grade II Listed Status by English Heritage in 1991, and was converted for full time Bingo as a Top Rank Bingo Club, and then Mecca Bingo, which lasted until it finally closed in May 2006.

Left - An Auditorium Ceiling Panel at the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.

Following this the building was converted into a so called 'Banqueting Suite' in 2007 which involved restoring the building's fixtures and fittings and altering it for the purpose, at great expense too. However, it wasn't very successful and by October 2008 the Troxy was put to use as a Concert Venue and Nightclub with a 2,500 capacity.

A Google StreetView Image of the Troxy, Commercial Road, London - Click to Interact.

Above - A Google StreetView Image of the Troxy, Commercial Road, London - Click to Interact.

The Stage of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.In 2010 installation began at the Troxy of the Theatre Organ from the long ago demolished Trocadero Cinema on the New Kent Road in Elephant & Castle, by the Cinema Organ Society. The Troxy's own Theatre Organ having been removed many years earlier. Details about the Organ, its installation at the Troxy, and the project to restore it to full working order can be found on the Trocadero Wurlitzer Trust's website here.

Right - The Stage of the Troxy Cinema in November 2010 - Courtesy Charles Jenkins.

In February 2012 the Troxy became a Cinema again for just one week when it was put to use to screen the Noel Coward film 'Brief Encounter', along with live music and an organist, it was the first time the Theatre had been used to screen a film in 52 years. In 2013 the Troxy screened it's original opening film 'King Kong' as a celebration of its 80 year history.

Today the Troxy is in use as a popular Concert Venue and Events Space, you may like to visit their own Website here.

If you have any more information or Images for this Theatre that you are willing to share please Contact me.

Other Pages that may be of Interest