Home Page
The Music Hall and Theatre History Website

Home - Index - New - Maps - Contact



 

About Bertie Crewe - Theatre Architect

Bertie Crewe's Theatres Featured on this site

 

Bertie CreweThe new Piccadilly Theatre, of which the precise location is the comer of Sherwood Street and Denman Street, W., has been completed from the designs of Mr. Bertie Crewe, in conjunction with Mr. Edward A. Stone, the most recently built of whose many places of entertainment is the Astoria Kinema and the new Palais de Dance in Charing Cross Road.

Mr. Bertie Crewe was born in Essex and educated at the Merchant Taylors School. He was articled to the late Mr. Clement Dowling, Architect, of Cloven Street, Strand, and on completion of his articles, went over to Paris for three years to complete his architectural training.

On returning to London he became chief draughtsman to the late Mr. Walter Emden, and after two years started in business in partnership with Mr. W. G. A. Sprague, from whom he separated at the end of 1895. Since then Mr. Crewe has been responsible for over eighty different places of entertainment, among them the following:-

The London Opera House, the Lyceum Theatre, the New Princes Theatre, the Tivoli Palace Kinema, and the Golder's Green Hippodrome, while in the country he has been responsible for the designing of the Pavilion, Glasgow; the Palace of Varieties, Manchester; the Hippodrome, Belfast; the Hippodrome, Sheffield; the Hippodrome, Nottingham, and the Coliseum, Dublin, and in Paris the Palace and Alhambra Theatres.

The above article on Bertie Crewe was first published in the Souvenir Programme produced for the opening of the Piccadilly Theatre, London on the 27th of April 1928 and is Courtesy Adam Harrison.

 

You may find the following pages from this site of interest: